For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Ofosu Jones-Quartey, who’s a meditation coach and musician from the Washington DC area. He has been teaching mindfulness and meditation to young people and adults since 2004. He is currently the male voice on the Balance meditation app and he teaches meditation and mindfulness classes and retreats around the country. Ofosu has taught and led retreats at the Insight Meditation Community of Washington, The Insight Meditation Society, Spirit Rock, Brooklyn Zen Center, Cleveland Insight and more.
Ofosu is also an accomplished hip hop and electronic musician, he recently released an album this year called “In This Moment”. His children’s book “You Are Enough” is currently available on Amazon.
His philosophy is that everyone is deserving of their own love and compassion. All of the work he does in the world is meant to support this idea. Ofosu currently lives in Rockville, Maryland with his wife and their four children.
“Meditation is a form of self care that can help us learn to be more kind to ourselves and to others.“
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- The difference between mindfulness and meditation practices
- How to arrive back in the present moment with an attitude of kindness
- The benefits of pausing during your day and bringing your full attention to your breath
- Becoming more aware of your thoughts and developing a new relationship with them
- Some of the misconceptions around what it means to be a “successful meditator”
- Noticing your inner narrative and making it an ally through kindness and compassion
- The importance of asking for help and not facing your inner challenges alone
- Why it’s imperative that organizations have resources available for mental, emotional and physical wellbeing
- Ofosu does a LIVE 2 minute meditation, you don’t want to miss!
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here:
Connect with Ofosu Jones-Quartey on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
Learn more about the Balance Meditation App
Have you subscribed to the Inspirational Leadership Community? If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to leave a review. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram and share your favorite episodes across social media.