For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Richard Newman, who’s an award-winning expert in Leadership Communication, Storytelling and Influence, working in advanced communication since 1995. Richard specializes in showing leaders how to speak with greater impact and influence. He is regularly featured on BBC London Radio and is the author of the best selling book ‘You were Born to Speak’.
In 2014 he won the Cicero Grand Award, the most coveted award in the world for speechwriting. In December 2018 he published his book ‘You were Born to Speak’ which on launch day ranked with Amazon as #1 best-seller on both kindle and hardcover editions.
Richard began by ‘Teaching English as a Foreign Language’ living in a Tibetan monastery in India. He then studied professional acting in London for three years. Richard worked as an actor on stage and screen, whilst continuing to study communication skills. He has been featured on Sky TV, Channel 5 News, in the Daily Telegraph, The Guardian, Forbes Magazine and the Huffington Post.
Richard founded Body Talk in 2000 and began working with a well-known Formula 1 team. His team at Body Talk have now worked with over 100,000 clients from 46 countries around the world. Last year they helped one client win over £1.2 million in new business by improving the way they communicate.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- How Richard went from being an introverted, shy, high-functioning autistic, to teaching advanced communication skills to global business leaders
- What Richard learned about non-verbal communication by spending 6 months with Tibetan monks
- The one secret that shifts your influence in every situation, so that you can inspire, motivate and lead people
- Actionable ways to be a more effective storyteller and transform your success
- How to convince 42% more people, using small changes in every meeting
- Richard shares the most common communication mistakes he has seen across the globe after training 100,000 people in 46 countries
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here:
To learn more about Richard and his work, you can visit his website here
Have you subscribed to the Inspirational Leadership Community? If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to leave a review. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram and share your favorite episodes across social media.