For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Tina Varughese. Named one of Canada’s 10 Notable Speakers by Ignite Magazine, audiences describe Tina as ‘dynamic, highly energetic, relevant and hilarious’. She consistently rates as the ‘the best speaker of the conference’. Her interactive approach is insightful yet practical and her delivery is highly entertaining.
Tina is an Indo-Canadian daughter of first generation East Indian parents, which allows her to find ‘the best of both worlds’ and shed light, knowledge and most importantly universal humour into the intercultural workplace. For fifteen years Tina, worked with immigrants in her roles with the Province of Alberta’s immigration office as well as running her own successful relocation and settlement firm.
Tina is a contributing writer for the Human Resource Institute of Alberta’s Network magazine, Calgary Real Estate News, Home to Home magazine and was profiled in Alberta’s Venture Magazine. Tina has been the face of diversity, literally, when she was chosen to be in Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty representing beauty in diversity.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- Understanding the differences between systemic racism and unconscious biases
- Having courageous conversations and remembering that everyone needs to be seen, heard and acknowledged
- The top 7 biases show up in the areas of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, age, weight and disability (physical and emotional)
- We can all manage and mitigate our biases by becoming conscious of what was unconscious for a very long time
- White privilege is not about what you have, it’s about what you have not had to experience
- The importance of psychological safety in your organization if you’re going to make meaningful changes
- The value of reverse mentoring at work
- When it comes to the global pandemic, we may all be in the same ocean but we’re not in the same boats
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here:
Visit Tina’s website