For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Jennifer Gillivan, the President and CEO of the IWK Foundation. The Foundation is the primary fundraising and outreach partner of the IWK Health Centre, which provides critical and specialized care to women, children, youth and families throughout the Maritimes. Jennifer is a very passionate supporter and public speaker on the rights of Women and Children in our society.
Jennifer has an extensive background in philanthropy, partnerships, public speaking, strategy, marketing and leadership. Born and educated in Dublin, Ireland Jennifer immigrated to Canada in 1982. Prior to joining the IWK Foundation, Jennifer worked with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for 14 years most recently as Director of Partnerships, Communications, Marketing and Brand for the CBC across Canada.
She was awarded The Halifax Business Person of the Year in 2017 as well as the Atlantic Business Magazine Top 50 CEO Award for 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019 and inducted into the Atlantic Business Hall of Fame. In 2017 Jennifer was awarded the RBC Top 25 Canadian Immigrant award and locally the Top 25 Maritime Immigrant award.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- Why we need a revolution when it comes to inequity
- How men and women can work together and create a new path forward that is a different way of working
- Why the world is longing for genuine leadership
- How every single human being needs to have their bull called
- Why companies need to support the whole person
- What happens if leaders don’t do the inner work: it takes a lifetime to build a reputation but a minute to lose it
- Why busyness + time do NOT = success
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here:
Book Recommendation – Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez