For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Brittany J. Harris, the Vice President of Learning & Innovation at The Winters Group, Inc. In her role, Brittany is responsible for curating and facilitating learning experiences that shift perspectives, change hearts, and empower action in service of equity, justice, and inclusion. Brittany supports non-profit and for-profit organizations in designing high-impact learning and education programs that focus on competency building around diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competence and “meeting people where they are” in their journey.
Prior to joining The Winters Group, Brittany held human resources, diversity management, affirmative action compliance, and consulting roles in Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD, and Tampa Bay, FL. A graduate of Howard University, Brittany holds an undergraduate degree in Broadcast Journalism. She also received her Masters in Human Resources Management, with a concentration on Diversity and Inclusion Management, from Georgetown University.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- The importance of self-compassion and grace during this global pandemic
- How we can be more intentional about creating inclusion during times of uncertainty
- Understanding cultural competence: the extent to which we can recognize, understand, accept and adapt across differences
- How curiosity, empathy, authenticity and vulnerability lead to inclusive leadership
- Creating shared understanding through dialogue instead of debating
- How to engage in bold and inclusive conversations using the E model: Exposure, Experience, Education and Empathy
- Understanding who you are as a cultural being and how it effects the way you show up in the world
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here: