For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I had the pleasure of speaking with Eric Dillon, the CEO of Conexus Credit Union. Eric is a leader within the cooperative finance movement in Canada and has worked extensively to shape the credit union business model. He’s a serial innovator having been involved in some of the credit union systems recent innovations such as mobile payments, social impact financing and measuring financial wellness. Eric has been recognized nationally and internationally for his work in social media, innovation and leadership and was most recently a recipient of the 2019 Governor General of Canada Innovation Award.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- How the role of a leader has drastically changed
- Why the best leaders start with a deep appreciation of self
- The importance of building teams with different backgrounds and perspectives
- How talented leaders build an environment where there’s healthy debate and tension
- Why authenticity is a critical component of leadership
- The 70, 20, 10 model that Conexus uses for leadership development
- How to disrupt thinking for more innovation
- Eric’s biggest leadership lesson
Listen to the full interview here:
What were the big takeaways for you? How do you create an environment that encourages disruptive thinking and innovation?
There are leaders and there are those who lead. Leaders hold a position of power or influence. Those who lead inspire us – Simon Sinek