Did you attend this year’s Workhuman conference? If yes, what was your experience, and what were your major takeaways? With many speakers and topics ranging from DEIB to pivoting to workplace relationships, Workhuman Live was inspiring, thought-provoking and empowering.
In this episode of the Inspirational Leadership podcast, I speak with Jackye Clayton and Katee Van Horn. They’re two diversity, equity, & inclusion peeps who love both what they have in common and what makes them different. During the day, they use their superpowers to block bias and end systemic racism within companies and create equitable places to work. They launched the Inclusive AF Podcast in 2020, which is a place where you get to hear real, authentic, and sometimes tough discussions on issues that are important to various communities.
Listen in to learn the power of being a professional troublemaker who advocates for others by asking tough questions and speaking up. You will also learn how giving the right energy and interactions can improve innovation in the workplace.
- The importance of being constantly ready for change in the workforce and in your career.
- How to advocate by asking tough questions and speaking up to give others the space to do the same.
- The importance of relational intelligence and energy in creating an innovation-driven and better workplace.
- The need to develop human skills that allow you to gauge what people need and how to best help them.
- How to maintain individual authenticity in the workplace while still encouraging innovation.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- [00:55] How Jackye challenged herself to pivot from her DEI field during the 2023 Workhuman conference.
- [02:16] Katee on the impact of the Braindate she set up for Workhuman conference newcomers this year.
- [08:32] The data that was presented on workplace disparities, the work being done, and how it will impact future workplaces.
- [15:19] Why we should all be professional troublemakers by asking tough questions and speaking up.
- [18:21] The power of advocating and creating the space where others feel safe to speak up.
- [22:42] Jackye on how she related with Esther Perel’s conversation on personal connection at the workplace.
- [27:55] The things we can do to give out the right energy and interactions in the workplace.
- [30:21] The marble approach for DEIB – ensuring you’re working towards a common goal throughout all your DEIB activities.
- [32:04] How we can create space where everyone can be their most evolved self at work and create positive change.
- [40:06] Why we need to pay attention to people feeling invincible in the workplace and how organizations can change this.
- “Change management isn’t something outside of your natural day job; change is just something that is always constant and happening.”– Katee Van Horn [04:10]
- “Being the professional troublemaker is about you being part of the change; it’s about you being the change you want to see in the world.”– Kristen [20:06]
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here:
- Learn more about Workhuman Live
- Connect with Jackye Clayton on LinkedIn
- Connect with Katee Van Horn on Linkedin
- The Inclusive AF Podcast
Have you subscribed to the Inspirational Leadership Community? If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to leave a review. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram and share your favorite episodes across social media.