For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Drew Dudley. Called one of the most inspirational TED speakers in the world, Drew is on a mission to help people unlearn some dangerous lessons about leadership.
As the founder and chief catalyst of Day One Leadership, he has helped top organizations around the world increase their leadership capacity. His clients have included McDonald’s, American Express, JP Morgan Chase, the United Way, and more than 100 colleges and universities.
Prior to this, Drew spent eight years as the director of one of Canada’s largest leadership development programs at the University of Toronto. Drew is also the bestselling author of This is Day One: A Practical Guide to Leadership That Matters. It debuted at #6 on the Wall Street Journal bestseller list. As a speaker, Drew has delivered keynotes to more than 250,000 people across five continents. His TED talk “Everyday Leadership (The Lollipop Moment)” was voted “one of the 15 most inspirational TED talks of all time”.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- Why you need to approach every day at work like it’s Day 1
- Why leadership is not about the big things, but about being consistent with your daily actions and behaviours
- The power of forgiveness, commitment and humility
- Why moments of leadership involve compassion, empathy, kindness and recognition
- Understanding that leadership is about recognizing the gap between the person you want to be and how you’re currently behaving, then creating a plan to close that gap
- The drawbacks of associating leadership with charisma, profile, money and power
- Why you need to spend more time checking things off your TO BE list instead of your TO DO list
- Remembering there is power in your pain and wisdom in your wounds
Listen to the podcast here:
Watch the video here:
Book recommendation in this episode: The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact by Chip Heath and Dan Heath