For this week’s Inspirational Leadership Podcast I spoke with Areva Martin, who’s one of America’s leading voices in the media. An award-winning attorney, advocate, legal and social issues commentator, talk show host, and producer, she is a CNN/HLN legal analyst, former co-host of The Doctors and Face the Truth, and a regular contributor on Good Morning America, ABC World News Tonight, and Dr. Phil. She currently hosts The Special Report with Areva Martin and the radio talk show, Areva Martin Out Loud. A Harvard Law School graduate, Areva founded Martin & Martin, LLP, a Los Angeles–based civil rights firm, and is the CEO of Butterflly Health, Inc., a mental health technology company. A best-selling author, Areva has dedicated her fourth book, Awakening: Ladies, Leadership, and the Lies We’ve Been Told, to helping women worldwide recognize, own, and assert their limitless power.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- The five lies told by society that have held women back for years
- Startling statistics that reveal how our system actively works against women to keep them “the inferior sex”
- Why we need to move the conversation from gender equality to gender equity
- Understanding the structural biases that prevent women from achieving their highest potential
- Helping women have the confidence to use their voice and speak up when microaggressions are happening
- Why small-scale strategies to enact change ultimately fail (and what to do instead)
- Simple tips to help men become powerful partners, rather than passive allies, in creating a more equitable world
- Why women need to make sure they are showing up both firmly and fairly in leadership and honoring their boundaries
Listen to the podcast here:
To learn more about Areva Martin and her work, you can visit her website here
Connect with Areva on Instagram, Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook
Have you subscribed to the Inspirational Leadership Community? If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to leave a review. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram and share your favorite episodes across social media.
One thought on “Women’s Leadership and Gender Equity with Areva Martin”